All motion this week can be on the North American arduous courts with the ATP 500 occasion in Washington and the ATP 250 occasion in Los Cabos.
Andrey Rublev is the primary seed on the Citi Open, the place among the many different gamers are 2019 champion Nick Kyrgios and former world primary Andy Murray.. Daniil Medvedev, at the moment primary within the Pepperstone ATP Rankings, is again at Abierto de Tenis Mifel. ATPTour.com appears to be like at what you must see at each occasion.
View cartoons: Washington | Los Cabos
5 issues to see in Washington
1) Rublev Prime Seeds: Rublev, the highest seed within the US capital, will attempt to win his fourth ATP title this season. The 24-year-old, who has already triumphed in Marseille, Dubai and Belgrade this 12 months, is not any stranger to Washington. Rublev superior to the semi-finals of the ATP 500 event in 2018 when he was 20 years previous. He’ll attempt to enhance his season 32-11 file when he faces #NextGenATP Briton Jack Draper or American wild card Stefan Kozlov within the first spherical.
2) Main US official Fritz and Opelka: Prime People within the Pepperstone ATP Rating, Taylor Fritz and Reilly Opelka, lead a powerful group from their nation on the Citi Open, being ranked third and fourth, respectively. Fritz loved the perfect season of his profession, profitable his first BNP Paribas Open title and his ninth within the Pepperstone ATP ATP To Turin as he tries to qualify for the Nitto ATP Finals for the primary time. Opelka, this 12 months’s champion in Dallas and Houston, might face compatriot and shut buddy Tommy Ball, the 14th seed, within the third spherical.
One other American to look at contains Newport’s last-seeded Maxime Creasy, the thirteenth seed, who’s seeded to face Rublev within the third spherical. Francis Tiafoe, who will get native help as a result of he’s from close by Maryland, is the tenth seed.
3) Nick Again for extra: Among the best durations of Kyrgios’ profession got here in 2019 on the Citi Open, the place he defeated Daniel Medvedev and Stefanos Tsitsipas in straight matches to say his second ATP 500 title. In his first singles look since reaching the Wimbledon last – he withdrew from the singles in Atlanta resulting from an harm in LEFT KNEE – Kyrgios will attempt to emerge victorious once more in Washington. The Australian will open in opposition to American Marcus Geron, and the winner will play Paul within the second spherical.
4) Murray in March: At first of the season, Murray was ranked 134th within the Pepperstone ATP rating. And on Monday, he would be the world quantity 50 and wanting to climb greater with a nice efficiency in Washington. The previous world primary holds a file 7-2 on the Metropolis Open, the place he superior to the ultimate in 2006 and reached the quarter-finals in 2018, his final look being. Murray, who reached this 12 months’s finals in Sydney and Stuttgart, will face Sweden’s Mikael Ymir within the first spherical, and he’ll face Fifteenth-seeded winner Aslan Karatsev.
Andy Murray “/>
Picture supply: Richard Kessler / Citi Open
5) Star-studded Doubles Sq.: The highest two seeds within the Washington doubles draw are Rajiv Ram and Horacio Zeballos, who will play collectively for the second time after shedding within the first spherical at Roland Garros in 2015. The sphere is stuffed with expertise, with unranked groups together with the tip of 2019. No. 1 Juan Sebastian Cabal / Robert Farah, No. 1 finish of 2016 Jimmy Murray / Bruno Soares and Nick Kyrgios / Jack Sock and Nicholas Mahut / Edward Roger Vasselin. The second seed, Wesley Kollhoff and Neil Skopsky, have gained 5 titles collectively this 12 months and prime the Pepperstone ATP doubles group rankings.
5 issues to see in Los Cabos
1) Medvedev returns to work: World primary Medvedev will compete for the primary time since June in Mallorca when he involves the sphere in Los Cabos, the place he’ll play his first match. The 26-year-old will try to win his first ATP Tour title this season having already reached three finals, together with one on the Australian Open. Medvedev can be glad to return to the arduous court docket, during which he has gained 12 of his 13 Tour titles. He opens his event in Mexico in opposition to wild card Rodrigo Pacheco Mendes or one of many playoffs.
2) Second seed Felix: Medvedev is not the one participant within the prime ten within the draw, with Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime coming in second. Newcomer Auger-Aliassime will attempt to clinch a three-game shedding streak when he faces Australian John Millman or Mexican wild card Alex Hernandez within the second spherical. The 21-year-old has proven nice consistency this 12 months, reaching the quarter-finals 9 occasions and serving to his nation win the ATP Cup in January.
3) Nouri hero protection: Cameron Norrie has been a success on the ATP Tour over the previous 12 months, and it began in Los Cabos. In 2021, the British leftist began his week within the ATP 250 and not using a title to his identify. After lifting the trophy, he claimed the ATP Masters 1000 title in Indian Wells, competed within the Nitto ATP Finals, broke the highest ten within the Pepperstone ATP Rating this April and moved on to his first main semi-final at Wimbledon. Nouri returns to Los Cabos to defend his title because the third seed. #NextGenATP will play Chun-hsin Tseng or a qualifying match within the second spherical.
Cameron Norrie “/>
Picture supply: Abierto Los Cabos
4) Nakashima peak: American Brandon Nakashima #NextGenATP certified for his first tour-level match in Los Cabos final 12 months and can be attempting to say his first title in the identical occasion this week. The 20-year-old, who will flip 21 on Wednesday, is eighth within the Pepperstone ATP race to Milan and is attempting to qualify for the Intesa Sanpaolo Subsequent Gen ATP Finals for the second 12 months in a row. Sixth seed Nakashima in Los Cabos will play a first-round qualifier.
5) Wimbledon doubles champion title: Australians Matthew Ebden and Max Purcell lead Los Cabos’ double attracts of their second event collectively since they gained Wimbledon. The second seed will attempt to get better after shedding the quarter-finals in Atlanta to fellow countrymen Jason Kubler and John Pearce. The highest two in Los Cabos are Santiago Gonzalez and Andres Molteni, who’ve claimed 4 ATP Tour titles collectively up to now 10 months.