A strong Day Eight of Pittsburgh Steelers’ coaching camp that noticed the group again in pads. That ought to stay the story for tomorrow’s Friday Evening Lights observe at Latrobe Excessive Faculty. Anticipating a monster crowd there. However till then, let’s speak about what went down Thursday.
We’re thrilled to once more have Len Testa and Touring Plans as a yearly sponsor of Steelers Depot’s coaching camp protection. They’ve been a long-time sponsor of the location and our camp notes. You should use their journey planner software to “present you the least crowded park to go to every single day, personalized touring plans for visiting Disney’s greatest rides, trustworthy restaurant opinions, easy methods to save on Disney tickets, one of the best lodge rooms to ask for, and a lot extra.”
When you’re planning a visit to Disney, that is the group you wish to work with. Attain out to them by way of their web site on the hyperlink right here.
Camp Notes (Day Eight)
– Damage roundup. Not training as we speak had been: RB Najee Harris (foot), S Miles Killebrew (pec), WR Chase Claypool (proper shoulder), TE Pat Freiermuth (hamstring), LB Marcus Allen (hamstring), S Karl Joseph (private), DT Cam Heyward (vet off day), OLB T.J. Watt (vet off day), and DT Larry Ogunjobi (presumed vet day). CB Levi Wallace (sickness) labored solely in particular person periods. Freiermuth and Claypool ought to return no later than Monday whereas Killebrew appears to be making some progress, working in stretch line and doing arm circles, suggesting his pec harm is therapeutic. He additionally did some backpedaling and planting/driving at about half-speed on the aspect later within the day.
Minkah Fitzpatrick got here off NFI as we speak and practiced in particular person work however not group, donning black sweatpants all through the session. However he’s been formally cleared which is clearly nice information. NT Tyson Alualu (knee) stays on PUP however labored up a wholesome sweat on a sizzling and humid afternoon, hitting a blocking dummy on the aspect throughout particular groups periods. That’s an excellent signal. In fact, recent off his deal, WR Diontae Johnson practiced in full. OT Chukwuma Okorafor returned after lacking yesterday for unknown causes.
Cam Sutton left observe mid-way by way of. Don’t 100% know the problem however I’d give it the hockey “lower-body” time period right here. Tweaked it in seven photographs and didn’t look proper the remainder of the day. OL Chaz Inexperienced and RB Mataeo Durant had been carted off in the direction of the top of observe with unknown illnesses. Could have been the warmth. FS Damontae Kazee jammed his left hand/wrist throughout a particular groups drill and wanted a couple of minutes for trainers to tape him up however he completed observe. Which is nice as a result of the security group is skinny proper now, although Fitzpatrick ought to be part of them quickly and Karl Joseph will come again within the subsequent couple of days.
– On one early snap in warmups, Diontae Johnson was aligned inside with George Pickens and Cody White as the surface receivers in 11 personnel. Johnson will nonetheless be an X receiver however may transfer round this yr with the slot position extra up within the air than it has been with JuJu Smith-Schuster gone.
– Early in observe, linemen snapping to quarterbacks included an inventory of acquainted names: Nate Gilliam, Mason Cole, John Leglue, Chris Owens, and J.C. Hassenauer.
– Receivers once more engaged on run blocking in a single drill as we speak. Heavy emphasis beneath new WRs Coach Frisman Jackson and it’s the factor that’s caught out to me probably the most beneath his teaching.
– In “on-air” drills, Connor Heyward made a nifty one-handed snag working an out ‘n up route. He’s received good palms, although has handled the occasional ugly drop.
– George Pickens additionally double-catches a little bit too usually. He has good palms and hey, receivers gained’t catch all of them cleanly over this lengthy course of, however he had one as we speak in warmups and it’s popped up a handful of occasions watching him. He’s received nice monitoring and talent to get well however his smaller palms (8 3/4 inches) could current a minor downside.
– No punts however punt return line throughout ST session: Gunner Olszewski, Steven Sims, Calvin Austin III, Tyler Vaughns, and Tyler Snead all fielded punts through the interval.
– In a skeleton kick return session, Benny Snell and Cody White labored as first-team upmen with Gunner Olszewski the kick returner, although there was no kick (Pressley Harvin faux swung by way of a soccer with Olsewski tossing a soccer he was carrying into the air to simulate him catching it to return).
– Let’s speak group periods.
First Group Session (Seven Pictures)
1. Kendrick Inexperienced in at LG. Derrek Tuszka and Alex Highsmith the OLBs. Ahkello Witherspoon at LCB, Cam Sutton at RCB, Arthur Maulet at NCB. Mitch Trubisky in at QB. Okorafor in at RT. Benny Snell in at RB with Harris remaining out. Trubisky completes to George Pickens on a fast slant, who’s fairly open and simply scores. Cam Sutton slipped and should have gotten damage right here. Montravius Adams received strain up the center. He and Chris Wormley had been the 2 DTs.
2. Okie defensive position of Wormley, Adams, and Isaiahh Loudermilk. “We gotta get up D,” somebody yells to the protection after a foul first rep. Anthony McFarland in at RB. Throw for Diontae Johnson behind the top zone is nicely incomplete.
3. Miles Boykin, Anthony Miller, and George Pickens the three receivers on the sphere. Snell again in at working again and tosses left. Stopped wanting the aim line by a pair defenders and the protection makes the cease on this live-tackle session. Heart Mason Cole a little bit sluggish to rise up right here however he was alright. Walked it off.
4. Trubisky nonetheless in at QB. Stress forces a fast throw left aspect sizzling for Benny Snell within the left flat however he by no means received his head round. Sutton had the possibility for the INT however dropped it. Sutton nonetheless didn’t look proper right here.
5. Mason Rudolph in at QB, Jaylen Warren at RB working because the #3 RB. Joe Haeg in at LT. Derek Watt aligned Y-off in a two-point stance. Rudolph fade for Boykin left sideline however James Pierre performs it nicely and breaks the throw up.
6. Empty formation. Steven Sims because the “X.” Blown protection right here and Rudolph hits a large open Jace Sternberger for the rating with two defenders crashing down on Boykin’s slant in entrance. Straightforward rating.
7. John Leglue at LT. Kenny Pickett will get a rep. Throws his greatest ball of camp, an important fade that leads WR Cody White into the again proper nook for the rating. Nice play. Protection wins the day 4-3 however the offense ends on an excellent observe.
Second Group Session
1. Ball on the offense’s 46. Myles Jack and Robert Spillane at ILB. Ahkello Witherspoon and Cam Sutton on the surface with Arthur Maulet within the slot. Tuszka and Highsmith the OLBs. Trubisky boots left and hits an open Zach Gentry for a acquire of 14, Gentry falling and getting as much as run and end the play on the finish.
2. Wormley/Adams/Loudermilk the down linemen. 12 personnel. Energy run, James Daniels pulling proper to left. Benny Snell up the center. Damontae Kazee fills the alley and cuts down Snell’s knees after a acquire of 4.
3. Devin Bush in at ILB. Anthony McFarland left aspect. Bends the run again proper and Devin Bush finds him and makes the cease.
4. 21 personnel. McFarland once more up the center. Alex Highsmith in on the sort out with James Pierre setting the sting. Somebody, I imagine Cam Heyward, yelled out, “Good job, JP” because the play was ending.
5. Justin Layne and Linden Stephens 2nd group CBs. James Pierre 1st-team with Levi Wallace not in full. Mason Rudolph beneath middle. Derek Watt will get a carry proper aspect, Delontae Scott making the sort out after a run of three. Robert Spillane blowing this one up and serving to to bounce the run on a well-time run blitz.
6. Rudolph working from shotgun. Completion to Anthony Miller for a acquire of 11 in opposition to Justin Layne on a dig. Good move professional by Jaylen Warren.
7. Warren carry proper aspect. Justin Layne and Donovan Stiner converge on the cease and one in all them knocks the ball out, although the offense recovers.
8. 11 personnel. Jet run to Steven Sims working left to proper. Delontae Scott isn’t fooled, these performs haven’t been very efficient, although Scott isn’t capable of end and make the sort out. Ulysees Gilbert III cleans issues up on the one.
9. T.D. Moultry at LOLB. Carlins Platel comes from his slot spot on the suitable aspect and tackles Grasp Teague on the line of scrimmage.
10. Rudolph in at QB. Acquire of two for Teague proper aspect. Mark Robinson fills and makes the sort out.
11. Mataeo Durant energy run left aspect. Tuzar Skipper works free and data the sort out for loss, a lack of three.
12. Kenny Pickett in at QB. Durant left aspect. Robinson in on the cease once more after a acquire of 1.
Third Group Session
1. Ball on the offense’s 23. Damontaze Kazee in at FS. Kendrick Inexperienced at LG, Justin Layne at LCB, James Pierre at RCB. Trubisky in at QB. Wormley/Adams at DT. Witherspoon at LCB and Maulet within the slot. Diontae Johnson within the slot with Cody White and George Pickens on the surface.
Toss left to Snell with LT Dan Moore Jr. pulling out in area. James Pierre will get off him and pops Snell pretty laborious. Moore isn’t blissful and provides Pierre a tough shove down.
2. Spillane and Bush at ILB. Alex Highsmith hand down because the RDE. Trubisky appears to be like for Connor Heyward proper aspect however Arthur Maulet dives and disrupts the throw, forcing the incompletion.
3. Anthony McFarland Jr. at RB. George Pickens and Gunnzer Olszewski at WR. Three exterior linebacker bundle, have seen it in previous years however not this camp, with Highsmith, Tuszka, and Genard Avery (who has performed inside and outdoors) alongside Myles Jack. Go full to Diontae Johnson for a gai of 5. Alex Highsmith with an excellent spin transfer inside that pressured Dan Moore to seal him down laborious. Chris Wormley was looping round and received free with Moore not capable of move Highsmith off to the LG. Would-be strain in a sport.
4. Montravius Adams and Carlos Davis the DTs. Tuzar Skipper and Genard Avery the OLBs. Trubisky scrambles proper and fires deep proper sideline for Calvin Austin. Devin Bush isn’t in his hip pocket however has good protection and the move sails in entrance incomplete.
5. Offensive line of: Chaz Inexperienced-Kevin Dotson-J.C. Hassenauer-John Leglue-Trent Scott. Pony set with McFarland on the sphere. Leal-Mondeaux-Loudermilk the DL. Rudolph full to McFarland in the suitable flat for a acquire of 4.
6. Tre Norwood and Donovan Stiner the security pairing. Rudolph full to Boykin for six with Layne masking.
7. Kenny Pickett in. Full left aspect to Steven Sims for 5.
8. Warren break up out broad left and Pickett throws a display his means. Buddy Johnson creates some disruption however the ball nonetheless goes by way of Warren’s palms, a drop.
9. Third group OL of: Jordan Tucker-Chris Owens-Nate Gilliam-Jake Dixon-Joe Haeg. Pickett full to Tyler Snead proper aspect for 5. Linden Stephens with a half-decent pop into him on the finish.
10. Doug Costin and Donovan Jeter the DTs. Pickett full to Olszewski on a curl for seven. Stephens masking.
11. Mason Rudolph in at QB. Bizarre QB rotation as we speak. Throw proper aspect underthrown by Tyler Vaughns tracks it and makes the seize for a 15-yard acquire, wrestling with a nook I don’t have listed on the finish of the play. However it’s a catch.
12. Tre Norwood free on a FS blitz for a would-be sack. Rudolph finally ends up firing the soccer away.
Fourth Group Session
1. Ball on the offense’s 24. Snell carry up the center for 3.
2. James Pierre the RCB. Trubisky in at QB. Snell left aspect for 2, Devin Bush tagging him. Witherspoon chased the ball laborious and knocked it out on the finish. Ball safety inferior to it must be for the RBs as we speak.
3. Trubisky boots left and appears for Diontae Johnson. However James Pierre drives downhill and breaks up the throw.
4. Trubisky full to Warren within the left flat for one. Highsmith pops him on the finish.
5. Rudolph is available in. Whistle initially and it takes a second for the offense to reset. Moultry in at ROLB. Rudolph beneath middle. Full proper flat to TE Kevin Rader for only a acquire of 1, Tuszka masking and making use of the tag. Flag thrown that Rader stepped on however didn’t get banana-peeled.
6. Rudolph beneath middle. Warren carry left aspect. Good push by the offensive line however Carlos Davis will get palms on him after a acquire of six,
7. Pickett within the sport. Full on Y-stick to Connor Heyward for a acquire of 5. Buddy Johnson on the tag/cease.
8. Skipper and Moultry the EDGE rushers. Johnson and Gilbert the ILBs. Pickett beneath middle. Full to Miller left aspect for a acquire of ten off playaction. Actually good learn and development from Pickett beginning proper and dealing again left.
9. Rudolph now in at QB. Hits Olszewski on a crosser for a acquire of 11, Tre Norwood offering the cease.
10. Jace Sternberger and Kevin Rader the TEs in 12 personnel. Pickett full to Durant proper aspect for a pair, name it 4. Skipper at his LOLB spot beat Trent Scott badly inside and received strain.
11. McFarland jet to the suitable. Not a dwell drill however McFarland exhibits his velocity and scoots previous Delontae Scott for a acquire of ten, working into the top zone with Teague, ending out every likelihood he will get, jogging into the top zone to dap McFarland up.
12. Durant toss proper. Platel on the cease after two. Positive regarded like Trent Scott left early the final two reps, this one and play #9.
– Notes from some 1v1 protection drills, a mixture of backs, receivers, and broad receivers.
WR + TE + RB vs LB/DB 1v1s
1. Diontae Johnson, welcome again. Nice launch to beat and stack Ahkello Witherspoon vertically and make the seize deep down the suitable sideline.
2. Jace Sternberger nice spinning seize on a wheel route working over Robert Spillane. Good rep.
3. Justin Layne guesses/anticipates the route and jumps curl to George Pickens, breaking on the ball and swatting it away.
4. Good publish/nook route by Connor Heyward in opposition to Devin Bush however the throw is out in entrance and incomplete deep downfield.
5. Good route by Anthony Miller, who does an excellent job in these settings getting on DB’s toes, and Linden Stephens exhibits hip stiffness attempting to show and run with him. Miller separates and makes the seize over the center.
6. Ulysees Gilbert III and Jaylen Warren collide on the prime of the route. Warren bursts exterior and makes a pleasant catch whereas tucking the ball upfield multi function movement.
7. Flag from the refs nonetheless on-hand thrown on LB Robert Spillane as Jace Sternberger breaks exterior. Sternberger nonetheless will get away and makes the catch.
8. Good double-move, a cease ‘n go, by Cody White in opposition to Cam Sutton, burning him deep downfield for the catch. Uncommon to see Sutton look that sluggish, White isn’t a speedster, so it is smart Sutton didn’t end out the day.
9. Anthony McFarland with an important catch, high-pointing the ball on a wheel route and taking it away from Myles Jack, who met him on the prime. However McFarland gained the 50/50 ball.
10. Miles Boykin crosses Justin Layne’s face and beats him inside on a slant.
11. Good backshoulder throw and seize caught by Connor Heyward in opposition to Damontae Kazee.
12. Good drive and breakup by James Pierre on Anthony Miller’s curl route.
13. Benny Snell makes a falling seize in opposition to Myles Jack. Jack known as for a flag however Snell nonetheless hauls the ball in.
14. Miles Boykin breaks down on a curl and Linden Stephens can’t match him. Straightforward seize.
15. Snell catch on a fast out in opposition to Jack.
16. Sternberger to the nook working in opposition to Donovan Stiner. Sternberger an excellent route and good throw with him making the catch, although it fell into his chest and shifted and practically popped up. However he held on.
17. Chris Steele tremendous grabby on Cody White and each officers observing throw flags on him.
18. McFarland sluggish off the road and hits Bush with a stutter step after which explodes vertical whereas discovering the ball and making a diving catch transferring to his proper whereas working down the left sideline. Good route and end.
19. Diontae Johnson sells vertical and runs James Pierre off earlier than breaking down and making the seize.
20. Good launch by Sternberger to beat Spillane however I imagine the move was overthrown/off-line and incomplete.
– OL/DL outcomes.
1. DeMarvin Leal bull rushes Dan Moore Jr, who makes use of his Pat Meyer-taught hop step to attempt to re-anchor. Did alright.
2. Isaiahh Loudermilk sheds Kevin Dotson.
3. Montravius Adams rip to spin with the latter transfer coming late in opposition to Mason Cole.
4. Henry Mondeaux creates a little bit motion on a bull rush in opposition to James Daniels however Daniels stays sq. and engaged.
5. Inside spin and rip by Mondeaux will get previous Daniels this time.
6. Chukwuma Okorafor seals Derrek Tuszka up the arc.
7. Moore mirrors Genard Avery’s inside spin. Moore with some ahead physique lean however makes the job.
8. Moore with one other win in opposition to Avery.
9. And Moore sweeps the sequence, staying in entrance of Avery.
10. Loudermilk falls into Dotson.
11. They go once more. Loudermilk with extra success on his bull with a late rip transfer.
12. Adams bull rushes Cole.
13. Daniels with an excellent win in opposition to Leal.
14. Leal will get revenge, successful shortly with a swipe to beat Daniels.
15. Okorafor stays in entrance of Tuszka’s spin however appeared to open the within lane a little bit bit an excessive amount of.
16. Tuskza finally ends up on the bottom in opposition to Okorafor.
17. Tuszka responds with an excellent bullrush to maneuver Okorafor again.
18. Leglue seals Scott up the sting although Scott turned the nook very late.
19. First rate battle between Kendrick Inexperienced and Khalil Davis. Davis received a step late.
20. Rep of the day with Khalil Davis forklifting Kendrick Inexperienced again for the win. A really excited Davis celebrates on his means again to the road.
21. Carlos Davis rips previous J.C. Hassenauer.
22. Davis swipes previous Hassenauer this time.
23. Don’t have full notes on these remaining three reps however Leal did have a fast win in opposition to somebody imagine it was Leglue.
Fifth Group Session
1. Purple zone work on the protection’s 21. Trubisky in at QB, working beneath middle. 11 personnel. Snell carry for 5 yards.
At this level, there was lighting within the distance and the horn blew to finish the day 11 performs early. Nonetheless a strong day of labor and I’m certain gamers had been blissful to get out of the humidity and pending rain.
– Get requested on a regular basis however sure, I believed as we speak was Kenny Pickett’s greatest day. Maybe he was one of the best QB of the day. The seven photographs throw to Cody White and the development learn completion to Miller off playaction had been two high-level moments. Extra of this from Pickett would put him again into the beginning QB battle. Simply at some point however an excellent one and I got here away inspired.
– Bizarre splitting of reps as we speak with Rudolph often leaping in for a snap solely to get replaced by Pickett the following. Undecided what the plan even was…a backup coming off the bench on a second’s discover?
– Jaylen Warren, not fairly as robust as we speak. Fumble and a dropped move although he had as soon as good move professional pickup. Ball safety not ultimate for Steelers’ backs as we speak both.
– Anthony McFarland and Jace Sternberger had arguably their greatest practices of the summer season. McFarland regarded nice in receiving drills and flashed his velocity whereas Sternberger was a crisp route runner who made a few spectacular grabs and scored in seven photographs, although he was broad open. Good days for them.
– Kevin Rader had drop points early in his profession however he’s appeared to have cleaned that problem up. Final two days, making powerful grabs above his head/body.
– I actually don’t get why Trent Scott even sniffed first-team reps. Should be Pat Meyer’s doing. Scott shouldn’t be wherever close to the sphere this season. Joe Haeg isn’t elite however I’d take him in a heartbeat over Scott.
– DeMarvin Leal actually appears to be like greater than he did in class, which is smart since he’s up about 20 kilos. However he’s stored his quickness and talent to win as a move rusher which is spectacular and inspiring.
– Devin Bush regarded higher in group session although his 1v1 protection work leaves quite a bit to be desired. Not asking for a lot. One win, one good rep the final two days is all I’m asking for. I get it’s laborious for the defender however different guys have made performs.
– Couple of CBs who stepped up as we speak. Energetic day for Carlins Platel and James Pierre. Pierre is an up-and-down participant however when he’s on, he’s good. Right now was a kind of days. A number of move breakups and good run protection on the sting.
– Rookie Chris Steele has size and finds the ball however he’s very grabby and a penalty ready to occur when he will get in bother. Linden Stephens is just too stiff-hipped to cope with beneath routes and I feel he lacks lengthy velocity for stuff excessive. In all probability on quick record of top-five cuts lower than two weeks from now.
Saint Vincent Snapshot
Minkah Fitzpatrick and Diontae Johnson (presumably) speaking about all the cash they now have.
Twitter Camp Query
Not a query however a worthy remark. And I agree. Hasn’t secured a spot, nobody has, and nobody will for awhile, however McFarland is in respectable place. Particularly if he has extra days like as we speak.
Random Steelers’ Reality
What Steelers’ QB was sacked probably the most in a single sport? It’s not Ben Roethlisberger. The “honor” goes to Ron Smith, sacked ten occasions in a 1966 30-7 loss to the Dallas Cowboys.
George Carlin’s Quote Of The Day
“Right here’s a bumper sticker I’d wish to see: “We’re the proud dad and mom of a kid who’s shallowness is adequate that he doesn’t want us selling his minor scholastic achievements on the again of our automotive.”