An incredible day of follow in Latrobe, PA Monday because the Pittsburgh Steelers placed on the pads for the primary time. Full-contact, residing hitting, and a ton of pleasure. Additionally loads for us to debate. Let’s dive in.
We’re thrilled to once more have Len Testa and Touring Plans as a yearly sponsor of Steelers Depot’s coaching camp protection. They’ve been a long-time sponsor of the location and our camp notes. You should use their journey planner device to “present you the least crowded park to go to day-after-day, personalized touring plans for visiting Disney’s greatest rides, sincere restaurant opinions, methods to save on Disney tickets, the perfect resort rooms to ask for, and a lot extra.”
When you’re planning a visit to Disney, that is the crew you wish to work with. Attain out to them by way of their web site on the hyperlink right here.
Camp Notes (Day 5)
– Harm roundup. Not training right now have been: WR Chase Claypool (shoulder), TE Pat Freiermuth (hamstring), LB Marcus Allen (hamstring), S Miles Killebrew (pec), RB Jeremy McNichols (shoulder), and I don’t assume I noticed Levi Wallace on the market, a minimum of not in crew drills right now. Larry Ogunjobi continues to not see work throughout crew drills. Excellent news is Connor Heyward (proper ankle) practiced in full after getting rolled up on late throughout Saturday’s follow. Freiermuth additionally jogged on the aspect, a optimistic signal for his return.
One mid-practice harm to notice. RB Najee Harris harm his left foot on his first carry of crew session. He did attempt to take a pair extra crew reps however didn’t end out the day. He spent the again half of follow with head coach John Norwig. They seemed to be taking a look at a pill, maybe going over the play/harm, and talked for a minimum of six minutes in line with my notes. Harris had his left shoe/sock off for a part of follow earlier than placing it on in direction of the tip. Mike Tomlin referred to as it minor and that matches up with what I noticed.
– Newly signed WR Javon McKinley will put on #21. An odd quantity for an enormous receiver like him however hey, it beats sitting at dwelling. He started working immediately with reps in crew drills.
– FS Damontae Kazee on the JUGS machine early. He dropped his first go so he may use the work.
– On cue, Karl Joseph first one on the sphere at 1:16, greater than a half-hour earlier than follow truly started.
– Connor Heyward was wholesome however performed the function of Alfredo Roberts’ helper, getting the blocking sled and chutes in place for the tight ends once they went via positional drills.
– Whereas Danny Smith is technically the one particular groups coach listed on the Steelers’ employees, he definitely doesn’t work alone in camp with a 90-man roster and wish to maximise the few particular periods the crew will get. Blaine Stewart is without doubt one of the coaches who helps out and has an lively function throughout follow with the particular teamers and as Frisman Jackson’s assistant WR coach. I do marvel if Stewart is somewhat bummed not being named the full-time WRs coach with Jackson coming in as an alternative. Frankly, I believed Stewart would’ve gotten a much bigger function within the faculty sport, his title was gaining buzz just a few years in the past, however possibly COVID impacted issues.
– I don’t wish to be hypercritical of drops however WR Steven Sims drops plenty of them. Haven’t seen it in crew, he hasn’t been focused a lot, however he lets lots via his palms engaged on air, together with one right now.
– Whereas George Pickens has been spectacular and I don’t wish to put chilly water on that concept, there’s nonetheless work to do. Principally as a route runner and being extra nuanced and on-time. Broke too early on a ten-yard dig right now and Fris Jackson informed him “too fast” as he went via and (double-caught) the soccer. He cleans up his routes and he’ll be a star.
– Heard a number of the teaching factors through the particular groups session engaged on protection unit block deconstruction.
“Head throughout, thumbs up!”
“Don’t put your head [in the block]” – Danny Smith on not moving into the blocker’s pads so you retain sight of the ball.
– Okay, let’s discuss crew periods.
First Staff Session (Seven Pictures)
1. Kevin Dotson first crew LG. Mitch Trubisky in at QB. Zach Gentry excited and claps his palms whereas the protection will get the group cheering. George Pickens, Anthony Miller, and Calvin Austin the three WRs. Devin Bush and Myles Jack the ILBs. Ahkello Witherspoon and Cam Sutton the CBs with Najee Harris within the backfield. Shotgun handoff to Harris who churns his legs and falls over the purpose line for a rating.
2. Gentry goes in movement pre-snap. Trubisky fade left aspect for George Pickens with Cam Sutton masking. Sutton could have been somewhat grabby and the go is incomplete, falling over Pickens’ left shoulder as he by no means actually discovered the soccer and acquired his physique rotated.
3. Harris on the carry once more. Near see if he acquired in nevertheless it appeared Robert Spillane and Damontae Kazee teamed as much as cease him contained in the one-yard line.
4. Benny Snell in at RB. Trubisky seems for Miller on a slant however he can’t clear the beneath defender and the go clips off his prolonged left hand as Miller dives out. Incomplete.
5. Kenny Pickett coming in, operating 2nd crew. Fade for Miles Boykin within the again proper nook is incomplete. Justin Layne good protection however Boykin wasn’t in place to catch it.
6. Pickett has Connor Heyward open on a pivot route, Heyward stemming inside and breaking outdoors, however Heyward slips as he breaks out, inflicting Pickett’s go to fall incomplete.
7. Mason Rudolph coming in for a lone rep. Anthony McFarland within the backfield with Heyward and Jace Sternberger the tight ends. 12 personnel. Shovel go to Sternberger as he dives over the purpose line for a landing. Protection wins seven pictures once more, 5-2. They’ve been accountable for these settings.
Second Staff Session
1. 12 personnel. Najee Harris will get the carry. I believed he slipped however this appears to be when somebody stepped on his foot as Harris tried to chop and bounce to his left. Myles Jack got here in free to take him down. No acquire.
2. Jack and Bush the ILBs. Witherspoon and Sutton the skin CBs. Kendrick Inexperienced now in at LG. Snell run left aspect, Devin Bush making the sort out from behind for a acquire of two.
3. 21 personnel. Spillane sheds James Daniels’ block and tackles Snell after a run of 5. “Good run, Benny!” Mike Tomlin calls out. Mike Tomlin loves him some Benny Snell Soccer™.
4. Chris Wormley and Montravius Adams the DTs. Mitch Trubisky in at QB for the ultimate of his 4 reps. Alex Highsmith is available in bottom to chase down Anthony McFarland for a lack of three. Good crew protection right here. Highsmith wasn’t the one one and so they have been swarming.
5. Kenny Pickett now in at QB. McFarland places his head down and plows forward. Karl Joseph fills the alley with a wholesome collision. Acquire of three.
6. Carlos Davis and Henry Mondeaux the DTs. McFarland run of six, good blocking by the o-line. Joseph ends issues once more with a fairly large stick. Joseph throwing his weight round with the pads approaching.
7. 21 personnel. Playaction. Pickett throws a strike to Miles Boykin on a dig over the center with the LBs sucked up. Acquire of 12. May’ve been extra run-after however the DB pulled up as an alternative of clocking him and Boykin dove all the way down to the bottom.
8. Pop go on a jet movement by Calvin Austin from Pickett. Austin turns the nook left and has house with two defenders making an attempt to corral him. Austin shook the one (didn’t catch who) and practically acquired out of James Pierre’s grasp, who needed to flip his hips and drag Austin down on this full-tackle drill. Good quicks from Austin right here. Name it a acquire of 13.
9. Mason Rudolph in at QB. Jaylen Warren with run and leg drive. Effectively-blocked two and positive factors eight.
10. Tyler Vaughns and Calvin Austin the WRs. 12 personnel with Zach Gentry and Kevin Rader within the sport. Jordan Tucker false begins and will get pulled out of the road. Joe Haeg is available in to switch. On the snap, Mataeo Durant run proper aspect. Tre Norwood threw his physique into the alley however Durant was capable of maintain trucking and keep on his ft for acquire of 9.
11. Chris Steele and Linden Stephens on the skin with Carlins Platel within the slot. Gunner Olszewski mentioning throughout. Jaylen Warren run left aspect. Sees a crack however Mark Robinson shuts it down with a powerful knock. Tomlin’s impressed and audibly says as a lot after because the protection will get fairly amped up.
12. Mataeo Durant swallowed up because the entrance seven swarms. Khalil Davis was in there and I believe Robinson was too. He was geeked going to the sideline and acquired loads extra reward.
Third Staff Session
1. Devin Bush and Myles Jack the ILB. Chris Wormley and Cam Heyward the DTs. Trubisky in at QB with Kazee and Edmunds the safeties. Mitch Trubisky at QB. Zach Gentry at TE. TJ Watt standing up because the LOLB, Alex Highsmith because the RDE. Trubisky hits Gentry in the suitable flat for a acquire of three.
2. Bush and Spillane the ILBs. Witherspoon and Sutton the CBs. Watt the LDE and Highsmith the ROLB. Trubisky good zip on a throw over the center with George Pickens plucking it coming throughout operating left to proper. Arthur Maulet making the sort out right here as he can’t knock the ball out. Acquire of six.
3. Benny Snell in at RB. Display screen proper. However Jack sees it the entire means and tags him up (no full-tackling on this drill, extra like thud contact) on the line for no acquire. Good recognition and end by Jack.
4. Derrek Tuszka and Genard Avery the EDGE rushers with Carlos Davis/Montravius Adams the DTs. Dime personnel with simply Myles Jack on the sphere. Don’t see dime too usually in camp. Six DBs have been: Witherspoon, Pierre (RCB), Sutton (slot), Kazee/Edmunds and Tre Norwood. Trubisky to Jace Sternberger in the suitable flat however Kazee will get in on the cease. Acquire of seven. Carlos Davis good bull rush to get strain.
5. Kenny Pickett coming in. Eight-yard completion to Connor Heyward on a curl. Karl Joseph tosses him all the way down to wrap issues up.
6. Cody White and Miles Boykin on the skin with Gunner Olszewski within the slot. Pickett palms within the pocket too lengthy earlier than lastly scrambling proper and hitting Boykin alongside the sideline who makes the catch for a ten-yard acquire earlier than getting shoved out of bounds and to the bottom. It was ball on the run for Pickett.
7. McFarland in at RB. Trent Scott false begins and has to do a semi-lap, jogging about 30 yards down the left sideline, crossing out of bounds, and circling again. Derek Watt display left from Pickett as soon as the play is reset and snapped. Twelve-yard acquire with Henry Mondeaux chasing laborious and tackling Watt from behind.
8. OL of Dixon-Owens-Gilliam-Inexperienced-Tucker. Mason Rudolph i at QB. Throw left aspect for Heyward is incomplete, hitting off Heyward’s outstretched hand. Karl Joseph had the protection.
9. Rudolph hitches up and fires nevertheless it’s batted down by Delontae Scott on the line. Incomplete.
10. Steele/Stephens the skin corners with Platel within the slot. Norwood and Stiner at security. Display screen left to Warren goes for 5 earlier than Norwood will get there.
11. Doug Costin and Donovan Jeter the DTs. Scott and Moultry the OLBs, Robinson and Gilbert the ILBs. For the second time in three throws, Rudolph has his go batted down. This time by Costin who has accomplished properly to get his palms up in throwing lanes this camp.
Fourth Staff Session
1. Ball on the offense’s 38. Run to Snell goes nowhere with Jack filling it.
2. Trubisky playaction. Chris Wormley had the “sack” and Trubisky simply tucked and ran.
3. Snell up the center for seven. Good blocks. Kazee with the sort out to the bottom.
4. Probably the greatest throws of the day. Trubisky rolls proper. Low-high learn with Cody White within the flat because the #1 learn. However it’s well-covered and brought away. Trubisky works to his subsequent learn and hits Anthony Miller on a crosser proper to left for 15 yards. Good development and throw on the transfer to his left.
5. Kenny Pickett would’ve been sacked about six instances as he looked for a receiver. He ultimately simply ran with the ball. Playaction right here.
6. Thud sort out. McFarland run proper aspect for 5. “Ball search” coaches name out to the protection.
7. 21 personnel. Derek Watt and Jaylen Warren on the market. Isaiahh Loudermilk flushes Pickett to his proper. He hits checkdown to Warren for 3 with UG3 throwing a excessive shoulder into Warren’s physique.
8. OL of: Scott-Dotson-Hassenauer-Leglue-Haeg. RPO with Pickett firing to Olszewski on a slant over the center. Much like the Kazee/Austin play and hit the opposite day, Olszewski takes a pop from Norwood however he holds on right here. Acquire of seven. Good catch.
9. Durant exhibits burst proper aspect for six.
10. Rudolph within the sport. Fakes the handoff to Warren after which hits Warren in the suitable flat. Acquire of 4. Carlins Platel runs via Warren to the touch him up.
11. Tuzar Skipper sheds Jake Dixon’s block to cease Warren on the line of scrimmage.
12. Rudolph connects with Tyler Vaughns over the center for 15. T.D. Moultry got here up the center and I believe he made helmet-to-helmet contact with Rudolph, unable to totally pull up on the finish. That’s a no-no for the QBs and primarily based off his physique language and a few coaches speaking with him, I believe he was made conscious of that truth.
Fifth Staff Session
1. Pink zone drill. Ball on the 24. Trubisky in at QB, Snell at RB. 3×1 “nub” formation. Trubisky checkdown to Snell for a acquire of 5. Spillane on the tag.
2. Witherspoon and Sutton the skin corners. Cody White and Calvin Austin on the sphere. 21 personnel, Derek Watt at FB and Connor Heyward as a hand-down, in-line tight finish. Snell proper aspect for a acquire of two with Montravius Adams shedding the block and making the cease.
3. Anthony McFarland in at operating again. Good acquire of six. Toss left with LT Dan Moore Jr. out in house, throwing an awesome pancake block that put Cam Sutton flat on his again.
4. Trubisky feeling strain from Loudermilk. Flushed left and hits Cody White entrance left pylon for the TD from ten yards out.
5. Kenny Pickett within the sport, ball on the 21. Playaction. Cross to Anthony Miller is short-armed and low, skipping incomplete.
6. Steven Sims and Cody White on the skin with Gunner Olszewski within the slot. Kevin Rader the Y. Inside zone by Anthony McFarland left aspect. Spillane fills after a acquire of 4.
7. 21 personnel. Jet run to Calvin Austin who positive factors the sting and will get into the tip zone, celebrating with John Leglue lifts him up over his head Grease type. 13 yard TD.
8. Pickett will get yet another rep to complete out his work. This isn’t a two minute drill so coaches will play quick and free with downs and the spot of the ball to work on completely different situational issues. Empty set initially earlier than Warren motions in. Throw in the long run zone meant for Heyward is properly over his head and incomplete. May need been a semi-throwaway as a result of Heyward wasn’t actually open.
9. Mason Rudolph is available in. Hits Olszewski on a shallow cross for 3. Buddy Johnson on the cease. Olszewski’s Guardian Cap practically got here off and he needed to smush it again on his helmet like a nasty toupee.
10. Sims and Boykin the WRs in 12 personnel with Sternberger and Gentry the TEs. Warren carry left aspect. Mess of our bodies piled up that aspect and Warren will get popped by Stiner on the opposite aspect, knocking him down. Acquire of three.
11. Sims and Olszewski on the skin with Miller within the slot. Warren toss proper aspect. Acquire of say 5. Good burst there to the nook.
12. Rudolph scrambles proper. He misses an open Sims for too lengthy however ultimately finds him and hits him for a five-yard TD to finish the day.
– Although not listed chronologically, right here’s each rep of the backs on ‘backers, at all times a crowd favourite and one the crew does on the primary day in pads.
Backs on ‘Backers
1. Najee Harris anchors and wins in opposition to Myles Jack, who couldn’t energy his means via.
2. Alex Highsmith with the long-arm into Zach Gentry’s pads however he can’t dip or disengage previous him.
3. Genard Avery with bull rush on Kevin Rader, although Rader saves somewhat face on the finish and lands on prime of Avery.
4. Good anchor by Anthony McFarland to rebuff Buddy Johnson’s bull rush. Johnson faucets McFarland’s helmet on the finish to say “good job.”
5. Najee Harris once more successful in opposition to energy, locking up and controlling Devin Bush.
6. Tuzar Skipper turns the nook on Connor Heyward late. Not an awesome rep for Heyward who was making an attempt to remain balanced.
7. Skipper with a bull/swim to beat Heyward.
8. Jaylen Warren and Mark Robinson collide and each are off-balanced with Robinson making an attempt to shove Warren off as he stumbles a bit to his proper (Warren’s left). Good battle.
9. The 2 go once more Warren runs his ft on contact and stalls out Robinson’s bull rush. Najee Harris is hyped for Warren and leaping up and down.
10. Delontae Scott rips the sting engaged on Gentry.
11. Scott this time with an outdoor head-fake and swim to the within to cleanly beat Gentry.
12. Mataeo Durant mirrors Ulysees Gilbert III’s spin, although he falls off late within the rep.
13. Kevin Rader anchors in opposition to T.D. Moultry’s bull rush.
14. Devin Bush tries to membership Benny Snell right here. Undecided who the winner was.
15. Right here, Snell wins, mirroring Bush’s inside spin try.
16. Jace Sternberger seals the sting in opposition to Alex Highsmith’s pace rush.
17. They re-rack issues and Highsmith wins with a bull/swim over Sternberger.
18. Little bit of an odd one right here. Harris and Robert Spillane going up in opposition to one another however Harris barely places palms on Spillane, who wins round him.
19. They go once more and Harris wins, once more anchoring down with a powerful base. Can’t win with energy in opposition to Harris.
20. Genard Avery wins in opposition to Connor Heyward.
21. Heyward saves somewhat face right here, sealing the sting after which getting sq. as Avery tries to show again in.
22. Myles Jack with one of many pops of the day, a heavy collision with Derek Watt. Hit so laborious Watt’s guardian cap shifted atop his helmet.
23. Jack with finesse this time, successful with an inside spin transfer although it got here fairly late within the rep.
24. Derrek Tuszka can’t rip previous Zach Gentry.
25. Delontae Scott with bull to knock Zach Gentry again, getting underneath his pads. Sooner or later through the drill, Gentry was speaking with TEs Coach Alfredo Roberts about hand placement and leverage.
26. Good rep by Buddy Johnson, utilizing energy to run via McFarland.
27. Johnson wins once more, this time swiping McFarland’s palms down and operating previous.
28. Tuzar Skipper misses his punch on Kevin Rader although the 2 battle and Skipper wins late.
29. Skipper beats Rader across the edge.
30. Jaylen Warren seals Robert Spillane.
31. Warren once more wins in opposition to Spillane. Good job by Warren right here.
32. Connor Heyward hop stepping backwards to defend T.D. Moultry’s bull rush and Moultry swims him late.
– And right here’s OL/DL reps.
1. Alex Highsmith rips via Dan Moore Jr. across the edge.
2. Cam Heyward pushes again Kendrick Inexperienced on a bull rush although I’ve seen Inexperienced lose worst in opposition to it, I suppose.
3. Good push/pull by Montravius Adams to trigger Mason Cole to double-over and fall.
4. James Daniels hop steps backward in opposition to Chris Wormley’s bull rush earlier than regaining some management and tossing Wormley down.
5. Chukwuma Okorafor will get an excessive amount of depth and permits T.J. Watt inside fairly simply.
6. Dan Moore jumps early and so they reset, a operating theme of the session with plenty of early motion on either side of the ball. Highsmith once more rips via on the prime.
7. Bull to tear from Cam Heyward however he can’t shed Inexperienced.
8. Mason Cole sticks and mirrors in opposition to Montravius Adams.
9. Wormley bull rushes Daniels and swims over him late.
10. Okorafor rides Watt up the arc.
11. Genard Avery with an efficient long-arm in opposition to Trent Scott who loses his footing and slip ‘n slides all the way down to the bottom on his stomach.
12. Scott will get some revenge and mirrors Avery properly right here.
13. Kevin Dotson anchors in opposition to Isaiahh Loudermilk.
14. Loudermilk’s rip transfer fails in opposition to Dotson.
15. Good energy by Henry Mondeaux to overwhelm J.C. Hassenauer.
16. Fast burst and swipe by Carlos Davis to beat John Leglue.
17. They go once more and Davis makes use of a bull rush to stroll Leglue again.
18. Joe Haeg seals Derrek Tuszka upfield.
19. Tuszka tries a fast spin however runs himself proper into Haeg’s punch, knocking himself to the bottom in a TKO.
20. Trent Scott shoves Delontae Scott up the arc, who tried however couldn’t rip via.
21. Scott with punch and beats Scott inside, who’s slow-footed and may’t mirror.
22. Very nice push/pull by Loudermilk on Dotson. Sturdy rep and I wish to see him use it extra usually.
23. Mondeaux a win in opposition to Hassenauer.
24. Good bull by DeMarvin Leal on John Leglue who walks him again, although he couldn’t shed.
25. Leal strikes early and so they should reset. However on the snap, Leal with an awesome burst to get upfield and rip via for one of many quickest wins of the day. Leal retains flashing when he can fly upfield.
26. Haeg steers Avery upfield, who has to get actual skinny to nook and win very late within the rep.
– Anybody who says Kenny Pickett had an awesome day is overstating issues however his final two practices have been a bit higher. Second-team didn’t imply getting extra reps however clearly taking part in with extra proficient gamers (although dealing with a 2nd crew protection in fact). Nonetheless has to get the ball out faster.
– RB Jaylen Warren is perhaps the title to look at. Squatty physique with good leg drive and I liked his output and aggressive nature, his fearlessness, in backs on ‘backers. Dude put his face within the fan with good bend and ft. Working as an upback, concerned in particular groups…I’m keeping track of him.
– With McNichols and Harris dinged, we could possibly be seeing one other RB introduced in tomorrow. Traces getting brief within the backfield because the pads come on.
– Like I discussed above, George Pickens has all of the expertise on the earth. Coaches job is to make him a extra refined and technical participant, particularly together with his routes. That’s the #1 factor he’s gotta work on. Will say whereas I didn’t watch WRs/DBs, did catch Pickens make an awesome diving catch deep down the left aspect in an early rep.
– No must freak out over at some point and it’s not like now we have All-22 to comb via each rep however from what I noticed, James Daniels didn’t have an excellent days. In search of one thing higher tomorrow.
– Praised the offensive line for being mistake-free final week. Two false begins right now by Tucker and Scott and the entire OL/DL group was leaping like loopy in 1v1. On the optimistic aspect, their general run blocking seemed fairly strong.
– Isaiahh Loudermilk’s gotta use energy rushes to his benefit. Push/pull and bull needs to be his prime strikes. Finesse isn’t his sport and he wants to comprehend that.
– Carlos Davis’ low-cost shot on Jake Dixon the opposite day apart, he’s seemed explosive as a go rusher in drills and in crew. Don’t neglect about him within the DL room. Doug Costin additionally wanting like a volleyball participant together with his batted down passes.
– Delontae Scott one of many massive winners of the day. Nice in backs on ‘backers and dominated Zach Gentry. Batted ball in crew and his run protection has been strong. He’s preventing laborious for a roster spot.
– Myles Jack has been Regular Eddie. Run protection, protection, basic availability. Right here’s hoping he’s the reply at ILB. To date, so good.
– Karl Joseph bodily in run session. Throwing his weight round. Miles Killebrew lacking time has been Joseph’s profit.
Saint Vincent Snapshot
George Pickens on the blocking sled. New WRs coach Frisman Jackson getting critical about bettering WR run blocking. I’m all for it.
Twitter Camp Twitter Query
How’s Dan lookin
— Golo (@GoloFromKyotoo) August 1, 2022
Good to this point. Haven’t had plenty of notes on him. However in good condition, athlete, that block on Sutton was one thing else, and he’s a tough employee. However lengthy methods to go in an enormous second yr for Moore.
Random Steelers’ Truth
Jerome Bettis tied the NFL report few fewest yards in a sport whereas dashing for 3 touchdowns. Bettis carried the ball 5 instances for one yard and three touchdowns in a 2004 win over the Raiders. He tied Hank Bauer’s 1979 mark.
George Carlin’s Quote Of The Day
“Some individuals see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I see a glass that’s twice as massive because it must be.”